Saturday, July 3, 2010

Around the River - Canning Bridge to Pt Walter

Karen at work gave me the idea to walk all the way around the river in stages. From Canning Bridge to Fremantle, Fremantle to East Perth and then back to Canning Bridge. She is involved in a similar venture.

So on Saturday June 26 Kathryn drove me to Canning Bridge. She then went to Garden City Shopping Centre with a plan to meet me at Pt Walter later in the day. The weather once again was glorious. It was really nice walking around Heathcote Point and the Old Majestic Hotel site, which is now a modern housing sub division. It is great how the general public is not denied access to the river front. There are several plaques along the walk highlighting various significant historical happenings. Even saw quite a few swans in the Alfred Cove area.

Much of the housing along the water edge is so over the top and looks so permanent and secure, but we all know this can change in a very quick period of time. I carry my camera with me as there is always an opportunity to take some pictures from a different perspective when walking. You definitely observe more when you are walking. As I walked the last stretch along the Attadale foreshore Kathryn passed me on her way to the Pt Walter Cafe. The green lawns on the foreshore of Attadale looks very nice, but it is shameful to note that they are there as they used the foreshore originally as a rubbish dump!

The walk took about 2 hours and 15 minutes, approximately 9 kilometres. It could be easily achieved in under 2 hours, but I didn't push my pace too strongly.

Raffles Apartments Canning Bridge



Beach at Heathcote Point
How the river should look at Alfred Cove

No comments:

Post a Comment