Saturday, July 24, 2010

McIver Station to Canning Bridge

This has been my longest walk today, but quite easy as all on good paving. I walked from McIver Train Station, last stop before Perth Station, over the Graham Farmer Freeway Bridge, then along the  Burswood foreshore and then to South Perth. There are several interesting statues on the rivers edge in front of the Burswood Hotel. I stopped off at Mends Street Jetty opposite the City, for an expensive Cappuccino at $4.50, but they did a glass of iced water as well! From there I headed up to towards the Narrows Bridge, probably the narrowest part of the river.

Had a look at the Old Mill South Perth, first established in 1835, it is quite amazing that it has survived destruction, considering the amount of damage they have done in other parts of the city under the banner of development. The Mill wasn’t open until 1.00pm so I kept walking. This last stretch down to Canning Bridge where I first started the walk four Saturdays ago was not that pleasant as I had to keep company with a 6 lane freeway, something they got away with doing in the 60s, but wouldn’t be allowed today. Especially having a major freeway right on the edge of the river. I observed at least have a dozen different bird species, it is amazing how they survive so close to the hub bub of a modern city. As I crossed Canning Bridge I saw a dolphin and its calf moving up the river, my photo only shows the fin of the mother. This last stretch was a distant of over 15 to 18 kilometres. Fortunately the weather was cool, so it wasn't a particularly difficult walk. All up the walk around the river comes to about 55 kilometres and is now concluded, the Perth to Fremantle section at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment