Sunday, September 19, 2010

Riding

After a bit of a break from the weekly long walk I had a long bike ride rather than a walk, partly because some or my walk were taking up too much of my time on Saturdays. Walking is still a more enjoyable pursuit.

Caught the train with bike just after 8.00am. Disembarked at Claisebrook Station and took the cycleway that runs along the Midland railway line. This cycle path is continuous until a little before Bassendean, where you have to continue on Guildford Road. The road was pleasant from a commuting point of view, but not a lot to see. Also the Summer easterly winds have started so it was a matter of constantly pushing against the wind.

The ride to Guildford bridge only took about 40 minutes. After heading south along the Swan River, and at the Guildford end there is no trail along the rover on the South bank, therefore I had to follow the main road initially. After crossing over the Helena River which enters the Swan just south of Guildford, I took a detour and visited George and Barb Hawkins.

When I recommenced the my ride south just before entering Great Eastern Highway a bicycle track commences which very quickly takes you to Garvey Park, which now has a kiosk on the water edge, and appropriate spot to have a coffee. From here the bike track follow the river until Garratt Road Bridge. The bike track stops here and you have sort of ride around Ascot Waters subdivision and then the bike track commences again, and it continues without a break until eventually I reached the Claisebrook Station for the train ride home.

My ride would have to be in excess of 20 kilometres and this obviously was covered a lot quicker than I could do walking. I've now covered as much as possible all the river banks from Guildford to Fremantle, it is surprising how much of the river side is accessible to the general public.

Looking towards Perth from some high ground Belmont area
Remains of the old brickworks -Belmont

Looking down river to Garratt Road Bridge
Kiosk Garvey Park

No comments:

Post a Comment